Duodenal Switch Surgery Benefits and Procedure in Dallas, TX: Obesity is an extreme problem that can cause various health issues, including type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, heart diseases, and stroke.
A lot of people around the world are obese, and they’re looking for the best way to lose weight.
If you’re obese & have tried dieting and exercise without success, an effective way that can help you lose weight is duodenal switch surgery.
Duodenal switch is a weight loss surgery that converges restrictive and malabsorptive aspects to facilitate drastic weight in obese individuals.
It involves cutting away approximately 70% of the stomach to reduce food intake and cutting off the small intestine’s upper half to reduce the absorption of calories and nutrients.
The duodenal switch surgery’s main benefit is it works by combining restriction of the stomach (reducing your stomach size) and malabsorption (reduction of calories absorbed by your body).
Duodenal switch combines sleeve gastrectomy with gastric bypass to provide drastic weight loss more than either sleeve gastrectomy or gastric bypass.
In a duodenal switch procedure, about 70 to 80% of the stomach is cut off, leaving just 20% for tiny amounts of food.
Then, the upper half of the small intestine close to the stomach, known as the duodenal, will be cut off. The lower half of the small intestine will then be attached to the duodenal close to the stomach. Food will then pass through the small stomach pouch into the other half of the small intestine and then into the large intestine.
The duodenal switch works in two ways:
The duodenal switch aims to cause drastic weight loss that either gastric sleeve or gastric bypass can’t provide.
It is done to help people that are significantly overweight or obese lose excess weight and stay healthy.
It can help improve the condition of individuals with weight-related diseases such as type-2 diabetes, sleep apnea, heart diseases, or stroke.
Weight loss results from the duodenal switch are more reliable and long-lasting compared to some other weight loss procedures.
Typically, the average excess weight loss with a duodenal switch is 80% over two years. Most patients lose 60% to 80% of their excess weight within two years after having duodenal switch surgery.
The excess weight you will lose typically depends on how well you adhere to healthy lifestyle habits, including eating healthy diets and exercising.
Duodenal Switch Surgery has many benefits, including the fact that it can lead to significant and long-term weight loss.
According to weight loss results, duodenal switch surgery has a 90% success rate. That means 90% of people lose at least 50% of their excess weight after undergoing duodenal switch surgery.
The duodenal switch also has a 90% success rate for the remission of related health necessities. As much as 90% of people with Type 2 diabetes who had duodenal switch surgery can discontinue their medications and find significant improvements.
Duodenal switch is so effective for weight loss that some people who fail to lose after undergoing other bariatric surgeries opt for a duodenal switch as revision surgery.
Before having a duodenal switch surgery, you must consult your doctor. Your doctor will screen you through a series of medical examinations and lab tests to decide if you’re a good patient for the surgery.
Your doctor will explain duodenal switch surgery benefits, and You will be given medical instructions and a special diet you should eat before your surgery.
A list of medications, vitamins, minerals, and dietary supplements you should take before your surgery is provided.
Announce your doctor if you are on any medicines, especially blood-thinning medications.
If you have diabetes, medications will be given to you.
You must stop smoking or taking alcohol a few weeks before your surgery.
You may need to have sessions with a psychologist, physical therapist, and dietician so that they can help you stay ahead and be ready for life before and after your surgery.
After your duodenal switch surgery, you will be taken to a recovery room to be observed and monitored. Depending on your recovery rate, you may remain at the hospital for 2 to 5 days. You would spend more days at the hospital if there were complications during the surgery. You will also spend more days at the hospital if the method used is an open incision method.
When leaving the hospital, you will need to be driven home by someone as you’re not allowed to go just yet.
Your doctor will give you instructions & medications to aid your recovery.
You must follow a special diet very closely as your stomach heals gradually.
You will only take liquids on the first few days and later semi-liquids after a few weeks.
You will gradually move to soft foods and solid food after several weeks.
You will be given vitamins and mineral supplements to make up for the lack of food nutrients and deficiencies to prevent malnutrition. You may need to take vitamins & mineral supplements for the rest of your life.
You will need to visit the hospital for check-ups. Your doctor will monitor your recovery rate and weight loss process.
You may experience rapid weight loss within the first six months following your surgery. This rapid weight loss may cause adverse reactions in your body, leading to different conditions such as dry skin, body aches, frequent feelings of tiredness, a sense of cold, mood changes, hair thinning, or hair loss.
A duodenal switch surgery can be done in two ways.
The method that your surgeon will use trusts on your condition and your surgeon’s specialty.
Regardless of the method used, the first step of the procedure is to cut off a large portion of your stomach (the outer part). Your surgeon will cut out about 80% of your stomach, leaving only 20% for food intake. The staying part of your stomach will be closed up with a staple or sewn. The amount of food you will be able to eat is drastically reduced.
It is the duodenum that connects your small intestine to your stomach. When you eat, food passes through the duodenum from your stomach to your small intestine. For the second step, the upper half of your small intestine will be cut off from just below the duodenum. Your surgeon will then connect the lower part of your small intestine and attach it to the open cut just below the duodenum. Food then bypasses a more significant portion of your small and large intestine.
The time it takes for food to pass through the small intestine is significantly reduced, reducing the body’s absorption of calories and nutrients.
The upper half of the small intestine that was cut out is not removed from your abdomen. Instead, it is attached to the lower part of the small intestine connecting to the large intestine. Bile and pancreatic digestive juices can flow through to the lower part of the small intestine into the large intestine.
Not all insurance providers cover duodenal switch. However, most insurance providers that cover bariatric surgeries may cover duodenal switch.
The cost for duodenal switch surgery in Dallas, Tx, varies depending on location, the surgeon’s specialty, experience, medications used, and other related expenses.
The average cost of a duodenal switch surgery ranges from $24,000 – $35,000.
Duodenal switch is the combination of gastric sleeve and gastric bypass.
Gastric bypass involves only bypassing some part of the small intestine to reduce the absorption of calories. Duodenal switch results in more significant weight loss than gastric bypass.
Yes. Duodenal switch has recorded tremendous success in helping extraordinarily overweight or obese people. It can help reduce up to 80% of your excess body weight. It combines restriction of food intake and malabsorption of calories to provide drastic weight loss. It provides weight loss results more excellent than many other bariatric procedures, including gastric sleeve and gastric bypass.
While duodenal switch has many benefits, it also has risks of complications. Just like other bariatric surgery, a duodenal switch possesses the risk of short-term and long-term complications. It is advisable to look for a highly skilled and experienced surgeon to minimize the risk of complications.
Risks or complications of the duodenal switch may be short-term or long-term.
Short-term complications of the duodenal switch include:
Long-term complications of the duodenal switch include:
It could take 4-8 weeks to recover after undergoing duodenal switch surgery fully.
During the surgery, you will be distributed general anesthesia to make you unconscious. You may only feel pain after the surgery when the effect of the anesthesia has worn out. Your doctor will give you pain medicines to help relieve your pain.
No. Duodenal switch is the combination of gastric sleeve and gastric bypass.
Ideal candidates for the duodenal switch are;
Choosing a highly skilled and experienced bariatric or gastroenterology surgeon is crucial if you’re considering having a duodenal switch.
KediaMD is the best clinic for a duodenal switch surgery in Dallas, Texas.
Dr. Kedia is a highly skilled and experienced gastroenterology surgeon that performs duodenal switch surgery in Dallas, TX.
Please book an appointment with Dr. Kedia or visit us to learn more about duodenal switch surgery.