Duodenal switch surgery is also known as biliopancreatic diversion. It is a weight loss surgical procedure for patients with a body mass index (BMI) of 50 and above. The duodenal switch helps to reduce weight more than the sleeve gastrectomy or gastric bypass.
In a duodenal switch procedure, the surgeon first cut out about 80% of the stomach, leaving just 20% for a minimal amount of food. The surgeon then cut the upper part of the small intestine, which is very close to the stomach, known as the duodenal. The lower part of the small intestine is also cut out and attached to the duodenal close to the stomach.
When you eat food, it goes into the stomach and passes through the lower part of the small intestine into the large intestine.
The aim of this procedure is to first reduce the amount of food the stomach can take. It is also to reduces the amount of time the body has to absorb calories from food in the small intestine. This drastically reduces the number of calories and fat the body absorbs, thereby leading to weight reduction.
Not every individual that is overweight is an ideal candidate for the duodenal switch procedure. Before undergoing the procedure, you should consult with your doctor to know if it is the right procedure for you.
Generally, to be an ideal candidate, you should:
Before undergoing a duodenal switch procedure, you need to first consult with your doctor. You will be screened and go through a series of medical examinations and lab tests. You will be given medical instructions to follow any a special diet you should be eating.
You will be provided with a list of medications, vitamins, minerals, and dietary supplements that you should be taking.
If you are currently on any medications, especially blood-thinning medications, you should inform your doctor.
If you have diabetes, your doctor should already be aware at this stage and should know the right medications to give to you and other important instructions before the surgery.
If you smoke or take alcohol, you will have to stop them. You may need to undergo sessions with a psychologist, physical therapist, and dietician. All these professionals will help you stay ahead and be ready for life before and after the surgery.
You are instructed not to eat or drink anything the night before the procedure. Arrive at the hospital on time. You will be asked some questions and may undergo a few tests such as your blood pressure, sugar level, and so on.
You will need to change into a maternity gown and be taken to the operating room. You will lie down on the operating bed and be given a general anesthesia before the commencement of the surgery. General anesthesia will keep you unconscious all through the duration of the surgery so that you don’t feel pain.
A duodenal switch surgery can be done through an open incision where the surgeon opens up the abdomen. It can also be done laparoscopically, where the surgeon makes small incisions on the abdomen and inserts surgical instruments through the small incisions. The method used depends on the situation of the patient and the surgeon’s specialty.
Making small incisions is, however, quicker to recover and with fewer complications.
The first step of the procedure is the cutting out of a large portion of the stomach. During this process, your surgeon will cut out about 80% of the stomach, leaving just 20% for food intake. Your surgeon will then sew up the remaining part of the stomach, making the stomach to have the shape of a banana. By doing this, the amount of food you are able to eat is drastically reduced and you also feel full for a long time.
The second step is cutting the part of the small intestine that is just below the duodenum. The duodenum connects the small intestine with the stomach. Your surgeon cut this and also cut the lower part of the small intestine. He/she then connects the lower part of the small intestine that was cut out and attaches it to the upper part of the small intestine close to the duodenum.
In doing this, the surgeon then bypasses a larger portion of the small intestine, where food passes through to the large intestine. This reduces the time it takes for food to go through the small intestine to the large intestine.
The separated part of the small intestine that was cut out is not removed from the stomach. The surgeon instead attaches the lower part of it to the lower part of the small intestine connecting to the large intestine. This allows bile and pancreatic digestive juices to flow from the lower part of the intestine into the large intestine.
By decreasing the amount of time it takes for food to go through the small intestine to the large intestine, fewer calories, minerals, and nutrients are absorbed into the body. This causes you to lose a significant amount of weight.
Each step of this surgery takes about an hour or more to complete.
After the surgery has been completed, you will be taken to a recovery room, where you will be observed and monitored. You may need to stay at the hospital for two or more days, depending on your recovery rate and if there were any complications during the surgery. If it was an open incision method that was used, you will also need to stay at the hospital for more days.
You will need to be taken home by someone because you are not strong enough to drive.
You will be given instructions and medications to aid recovery. You will need to follow a special diet. On the first few days, you will only take liquids and later to semi-liquids after a few weeks. Then you will gradually move to eat soft foods and then to solid food. These changes are to allow your stomach heal and strong to return to normal.
You will be given vitamins and mineral supplements to replace the lack of food nutrients. This is to prevent malnutrition.
You will need to visit the hospital at intervals for check-ups so that your doctor can monitor your recovery rate and weight loss process.
During the first six months after the surgery, you may experience rapid weight loss. This rapid weight loss may cause your body to react which could lead to different conditions such as dry skin, body aches, frequent feeling of tiredness, frequent feeling of cold, changes in your mood, hair thinning or loss.
With the duodenal switch, the outlet muscle called the Pylorus is preserved. The Pylorus controls the emptying of the stomach. Dumping syndrome is uncommon in a duodenal switch.
The procedure results in a more reliable and long-lasting weight loss compared to other weight loss procedures.
Most patients that undergo duodenal switch experience 60% to 80% loss of their excess body weight within 2 years.
The amount of weight loss you experience depends on how well you follow the instructions given to you, diet, and lifestyle habits.
Loss of weight leads to significant improvement in health conditions such as heart disease, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, infertility, high cholesterol, gastroesophageal reflux disease, stroke, and so on.
It also enhances your total well-being and your appearance.
It is important to note that you may not reduce weight or may regain weight if you don’t follow the instructions that were given to you. If you eat foods that are high in calories, you don’t follow a healthy lifestyle, and you don’t exercise regularly.
Like other major weight loss surgeries, there are risks or complications that may arise during or after the procedure. Risks or complications may be short-term or long-term.
Duodenal switch procedure is a more expensive procedure when compared with other weight loss procedures such as gastric sleeve, gastric bypass or gastric banding. The reason why it is more expensive is that it is a more complicated procedure and yields better results than all the other weight loss procedures.
The cost varies depending on different factors such as the location where the surgery was done, the surgeon’s specialty and experience, medications used, and other related factors.
The average cost of a duodenal switch procedure is between $24,000 – $32,500.
It typically takes patients two to three weeks to heal from duodenal switch surgery. However, some patients may experience a more extended recovery period. It is essential to follow your surgeon’s instructions and take any prescribed medications to help ensure a smooth and successful recovery.
You can gain back weight after duodenal switch surgery, but it is not shared. The duodenal switch surgery is a very effective weight loss surgery, and most people who have the surgery can maintain their weight loss in the long term. If you gain the weight back after duodenal switch surgery, it is usually because you have not followed the recommended diet and lifestyle changes. These changes are essential for maintaining your weight loss after surgery.
It’s essential to check with your insurance provider to see if they cover the duodenal switch procedure. Some insurance companies may lid part of the cost, while others may not cover it at all.
Yes, a duodenal switch is a safe long-term weight loss surgery option. This type of surgery is effective in helping people lose weight and keep it off for the long term. This makes it an excellent choice for those looking for a safe and effective way to lose weight and keep it off.
Dr. Kedia MD is the best Doctor to treat Duodenal Switch Surgery in Dallas and Fort Worth, TX. He is a highly experienced and skilled surgeon who has performed countless successful operations. He has a deep understanding of the human body and knows exactly how to operate to achieve the best results. Patients love him because he always puts their safety and well-being first.