If you are overweight or obese with a body mass index (BMI) of 30 and above, exercising and dieting may not produce significant weight loss. Obesity can lead to health problems and conditions such as type 2 diabetes, gastroesophageal reflux disease, high blood pressure, severe sleep apnea, heart diseases and stroke.
New weight-loss interventions and procedures are been developed to assist people who are overweight or obese lose their excess weight.
Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty and laparoscopic sleeve are some of the weight loss interventions and procedures that are performed to help people that are obese or overweight lose excess weight.
Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty (ESG) is a non-surgical weight-loss procedure that involves the placement of sutures inside your stomach to shrink your stomach and reduce its size.
The procedure reduces the size of your stomach by up to 75%. The reduction in the size of your stomach reduces the amount of food that your stomach can take. You are able to eat only a small amount of food and this leads to a significant reduction in the amount of calories that your body is able to absorb. The reduction in the amount of calories absorbed into your body then leads to weight loss.
During an endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty, sutures are placed into your stomach via an endoscope which is inserted through your throat down to your stomach. The sutures shrink your stomach and reduce it size up to 75%.
Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty is ideal for individuals with a body mass index of 30 and above. It is an alternative to bariatric surgery such as laparoscopic sleeve. It does not involve incisions and there are no scars after the procedure.
Laparoscopic sleeve, also known as laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy is a surgical weight loss procedure that involves the removal of a larger portion of your stomach. About 80% of your stomach is removed, leaving only about 20% for food intake.
Removing a larger portion of your stomach greatly reduces the amount of food that your stomach can take. You will only be able to eat a little amount of food. The reduction in the amount of food that you eat leads to significant reduction in the amount of calories that your body absorbs. The reduction in calories then leads to weight loss over time.
Gastric sleeve involves incisions. Your surgeon will make small incisions in your abdomen to locate your stomach. Your surgeon will then cut away the outer portion of your stomach, leaving behind a smaller portion that has the shape of a banana.
Individuals that are overweight with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 and above are ideal candidates for a gastric sleeve. Individuals with a BMI of 35 to 40 and with health conditions such as type 2 diabetes, heart diseases or high blood pressure are also considered ideal candidates for gastric sleeve.
Most people who have laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy surgery will stay in the hospital for two to three days. You will likely feel tired and have some pain for the first week or two after surgery. You will need to take it easy and not do strenuous activity for at least six weeks. It usually takes about three months to recover from the surgery fully.
Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy is a safe and effective weight loss surgery. It is minimally invasive, meaning it is performed through small incisions in the abdomen. This results in less pain and scarring and a quicker recovery time.
Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (LSG) is a type of weight-loss surgery. It’s also known as vertical sleeve gastrectomy (VSG).
During LSG, the stomach is reduced to about 15% of its original size. This limits the amount of food you can eat and makes you feel full sooner.
ESG is a related procedure. During ESG, the stomach is also reduced in size. However, part of the intestine is bypassed, which can cause complications.
LSG is less invasive than ESG and has a shorter recovery time. It’s the preferred procedure for people who are seeking weight-loss surgery.
It can be tough to sleep after an intense ESG session. You may feel pumped up from the adrenaline and endorphins or a bit keyed up from all the excitement. Either way, try to relax and take some deep breaths. Get plenty of rest and drink lots of fluids. If you have pain, your doctor may prescribe medication to help you feel more comfortable.
ESG and LSG are considered generally safe, with a low risk of complications. However, ESG may be slightly safer than LSG, as it involves a smaller incision and is less invasive. LSG may also have a higher risk of 0.5-1% for developing a hernia.
The best way to determine which weight loss surgery is right for you is to speak with a qualified doctor or surgeon.
|Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty||Laparoscopic Sleeve|
|1.||Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty is a non-surgical weight loss procedure that involves the use of sutures. Sutures are used to shrink and reduce the size of the stomach.||Laparoscopic sleeve is a surgical weight loss procedure that involves making small incisions on the abdomen to locate the stomach. A larger part of the stomach is then cut off, leaving behind a small portion for food intake|
|2.||Individuals with a body mass index (BMI) of 30 and above are ideal candidates for endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty||Individuals with a body mass index (BMI) of 40 and above are ideal candidates for laparoscopic sleeve. Individuals with a BMI of 35 to 40 with health conditions such as type 2 diabetes, heart diseases or high blood pressure are also considered ideal candidates for gastric sleeve|
|3.||Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty does not involve incision; hence there is no scar after undergoing the procedure||Laparoscopic sleeve involves incisions; hence there are scars after undergoing the procedure|
|4.||During an endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty, the sutures placed inside the stomach can reduce the size of the stomach by 75% leaving only 25% for food intake||During a laparoscopic sleeve, 80% of the stomach is cut off, leaving behind only 20% for food intake|
|5.||After undergoing endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty, patients can go back home the same day. Patients recover quickly and are be able to start their normal activities in 2-3 days||After gastric sleeve surgery, patients are discharged from the hospital within 2-3 days. Patients typically recover and start their normal activities within 4 to 6 weeks|
|6.||Complications from endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty are relatively lower than gastric sleeve surgery. Complications are minimal can be easily resolved. There has been no record of severe risks since the discovery of this procedure. You may only experience pain and nausea for several days which can be managed with medications.||Complications from laparoscopic sleeve are more severe. Complications from laparoscopic sleeve can either be short-term or long-term. Short-term complications that may arise include Bleeding, pain, blood clots, leakage along the staple line, nausea, vomiting, and constipation. Long-term complications that may arise include intolerance of food, sleeve dilation, indigestion, gastroesophageal reflux disease, stomach obstruction, abscess, stomach ulcers, gallstones, diarrhea, malnutrition leading to kwashiorkor, and hernia|
|7.||Results from endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty have been great. Research has shown that individuals with an average BMI of 38 after the procedure lost an average weight of 17.8kg after the first 6 months. After 12 months, they lost an average weight of 19kg.
Also, individuals with an average BMI of 45 after the procedure lost an average weight of 33kg in the first 6 months. Results are, however, based on how well individuals are committed to a healthy lifestyle and eating habits.
|Laparoscopic sleeve may provide better weight loss results than endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty. Research has shown that individuals after undergoing laparoscopic sleeve generally lose 60%-70% of their excess weight over 12 to 18 months. This means individuals that are 100 pounds overweight can lose about 60 pounds. Results are, however, based on how well individuals keep to a healthy lifestyle and eating habits.|
|8.||The cost of endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty is generally lower than the cost of laparoscopic sleeve. The total cost includes surgeon charges, anesthetist charges, facility charges, prescriptions and other related expenses. The average cost of endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty is $12,000||Laparoscopic sleeve is generally more expensive than endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty. The average cost of laparoscopic sleeve is $15,000|